Senior Technical Manager – R&D (refining, fuels, alternative energy)
Location; Rotterdam Europoort + international travel
- To ensure innovative research and development services as European Hub for downstream R&D for the Kuwait Oil sector
- To ensure adequate and accurate technical support to all Kuwait Petroleum companies as European Hub for downstream R&D to achieve a profitable operation:
- in the Refining activities
- in Fuels and alternative energy business activities
- Participate in the overall development and implementation of strategies and policies as a member of the Management team.
- Represent Kuwait Petroleum interest in Industry Associations & networking, mainly related to Refining, Fuels and Renewable Energy.
- Ensure that the company are up-to-date on legislative developments related to Refining, Fuels and Renewable Energy.
Development of prime products and alternative fuels
- Innovative development of new products & ensure insight in legislative and industry changes to measure the impact on the product requirements
- Develop and support the implementation of marketing and products plans/policies to support our strategy development and to enable the Operating Units to achieve their business objectives.
- Provide technical and market information to enable the organization to formulate short and long-term strategies to achieve the business objectives and targets.
- Maintain an active and transparent project management system to ensure efficient project execution, to facilitate communication with and involvement from the Operating Units to ensure that projects deliver products and services within budget and on time.
- Prepare project / budget proposals and lead review meetings.
Technical support to the Operating Units
- Ensure quick and accurate technical support to the Operating Units in their discussions with (potential) customers.
- Ensure that up-to-date product information is available for the Operating Units.
- Support production units in manufacturing products against the defined specifications.
- Support the refineries with catalysis selection and benchmarking through catalyst pilot plant research programs
- Manage partnerships.
Strategy and policy (as a member of the management team).
- Ensure that the required technical capabilities are available in support of the Operating Units
- Ensure project priority setting to facilitate efficient work planning in the laboratories.
- Develop and motivate a team with appropriate qualifications and experience to enable the achievement of departmental objectives.
- Develop clear performance objectives for the team, which will enable the achievement of Operating Unit objectives and track performance on a continual basis, taking action as needed.
People management & Leadership (team of +/- 8 employees)
- Develop clear performance objectives, which will enable the achievement of overall corporate objectives and track performance on a routine basis, taking action as needed.
- Recruit, train, develop, motivate and appraise staff team, setting objectives and performance standards to achieve agreed service levels and objectives (in cooperation with HR).
- Ensure efficient and fair work planning between the personnel.
- Ensure proper priority setting of work in line with customer requirements.
- Ensure that quality of work is in line with industry and complies with all management and operating systems procedures
- Ensure active participation in industry groups
- Maintain extensive network in the industry.
- Formulate the Kuwait Petroleum position in workgroups defining specifications/standards to ensure that decisions taken are in line with the Company best interests & influence industry decisions.
- Organise technical seminars.
- Be present in international seminars/events as (guest) speaker and to give lectures
- Report incidents/near-misses, carry out safety walks, familiar with role in emergency procedure and participate in emergency procedure. Apply handling dangerous materials correctly. Apply supplier selection and evaluation procedure.
Above activities reflect the key duties for the job, other activities that (could) fit within the job:
- Work independent on:
- projects within the technical agreements made with the OUs.
- projects within approved budgets.
- activities having impact on project results and future product portfolio.
- Approve formulations for new products or upgrading of existing products.
- Contribute to the general development of employees and the HR approach.
- Act as Back up for MD for daily operations.
- Sign expenditures according to authorisation schedule.
The ideal candidate
- Master degree in Chemistry or Mechanical Engineering
- At least 8 years of relevant professional experience in a petroleum environment or in a related area.
- In-depth understanding of Refining, research & development, related environmental legislation, and good understanding of supply, distribution and logistics. You are a leading expert in refinery and petrochemical products.
- Ability to perform on a strategic level (formulate, implement, evaluate)
- Solid track record in people management (technical environment)
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to influence/change
- Building relationships and a customer-oriented approach
- Experience in project management is a must
- You are willing to travel internationally.
- Languages: fluency in English, knowledge of every other language is a plus
Kuwait Petroleum International, known by our trademark Q8, refines and markets fuel, lubricants and other petroleum derivatives outside Kuwait. Our main activities are focused on Europe and the Far East.
Established in 1983, Kuwait Petroleum International is the international subsidiary of Kuwait Petroleum Corporation, which brings together all the state owned elements of the Kuwait oil sector under one corporate umbrella and is recognized as one of the world’s top ten energy conglomerates.
Our business encompasses the marketing and sales, research and refining of petroleum products.
Q8 markets fuel via over 4,000 service stations across Europe and operates a direct sales operation, providing road fuel and heating oil. Our International Diesel Service is dedicated to the needs of international road transport companies; Q8Aviation provides jet fuel at more than 60 airports internationally and Q8 Oils manufactures and markets some of the world’s finest lubricants.
For more information: www.q8.com and http://kprt.nl/index.php
Are you interested in this position or do you have questions about the job description or the company? Contact Lynn Dedeurwaerder at +32 3 241 33 26. To apply, please click on the 'Apply' button.
Kuwait Petroleum offers you an exciting position, where you will be working in an international company that is one of the market leaders in the oil sector and is expanding rapidly.
You will enjoy a supportive environment which offers outstanding opportunities for professional and personal growth, a work-life balance approach and chance to help us drive the oil business with innovative solutions.
You can expect a competitive salary package with an extensive package of extra legal benefits, a lot of attention for your personal growth and development.
We are looking forward to meet you!