Senior legal counsel with ambition to be team lead
As a global company, Q8 is one the top fuel providers in Europe. Counting over 5000 service stations and fuel delivery to professional end-users and resellers, Q8 is one of the largest fuel players in the European market. Specifically for the transport sector, Q8 has 600 International Diesel Services (IDS) stations in Europe. In 2019, Q8, was elected as Best Fuel Brand in Belgium.
The business and service of Q8 go beyond just fuels. Q8 is also active in the production, marketing and sales of Q8 lubricants. In retail, together with Delhaize, Q8 has built a strong network of local "Shop and Go" convenience stores in Belgium and Luxembourg, and thanks to a partnership with Panos, Q8 offers fresh sandwiches and pastries. Additional partnerships with Starbucks and Godiva broaden the convenience offer.
It is Q8's ambition to transform from a fuel & commodity company into a mobility player, with sustainable fuels and services for customers and vehicles, in any form. Q8 therefore continues to innovate and invest in future oriented opportunities, building sustainable relationships with customers, partners, our environment, in fact, society in general. Q8 strives to make every customer journey more sustainable.
We are currently looking for a ´Senior legal counsel with ambition to be team lead` based in The Hague.
To provide high quality legal advice to the Management of Kuwait Petroleum North West Europe (KPNWE), Kuwait Petroleum Research & Technology(KPR&T), IDS and, on demand, for various Operating Units. This, to ensure that all of the business activities of KPNWE/ Kuwait Petroleum International (KPI) (and the process of expansion of those operations) are carried out in accordance with, and with the benefit of, all relevant laws and regulations. And, to this end to provide accurate, timely and effective legal advice oriented towards the positive implementation of corporate strategies and policies, including corporate compliance in relevant Antitrust, Anti bribery, Data Protection and other compliance areas.
In this role, you will have the following key duties and responsibilities:
- To provide advice and guidance to the KPNWE Management to ensure that the business of the operating units are conducted, in accordance with, and with the benefit of, all relevant laws and the legal counsel in the principal operating affiliates is effective and supportive to the business.
- To provide advice as appropriate to Operating Business Units without legal counsel, supervising the activities of outside counsel in the provision of legal advice to ensure that their advice is responsive, effective and represents the best value to the Company for the cost involved.
- To participate in negotiations for, and the implementation of, acquisitions or disposals of companies or assets as part of Kuwait Petroleum’s expansion or restructuring activities. Where outside counsel is utilized, the Senior Legal Counsel will be responsible for directing their activities, bearing continuing primary responsibility for legal aspects of the negotiations. Where no or minimal use is made of outside counsel, the Senior Legal Counsel will support all necessary negotiating documents and interim and final agreements.
- To review contracts entered by KPNWE business and support departments, as well as those entered by international KPI businesses with activities in Europe such Aviation, and IDS Cards.
- To participate in the selection and management of outside legal advisers, formation of new corporate vehicles and legal entities and development of joint venture agreements.
- To support the General Counsel of KPI for legal activities, drafting & negotiation of all related documentation including engineering construction & project finance.
- To advice the KPNWE Management to ensure the legal corporate structure and its entities represent a robust and effective framework for the management and safeguard of assets and resources, including the management and maintenance of the Legal Supervisor system and corporate housekeeping repository.
- To support KPI General Counsel in the protection of Kuwait Petroleum’s trademark portfolio, in conjunction with the General Counsel and the Marketing adviser and utilizing outside trademark agents.
- To provide the Kuwait Petroleum Europe Board all general housekeeping support and on demand legal advice of the international downstream business in Europe.
- In coordination with KPI General Counsel, to be responsible for the implementation and update of the Antitrust policy, including the necessary training and the review and audit of the existing compliance program.
- To be responsible for the implementation and update of the Code of Conduct and compliance program regarding anticorruption including compliance office tasks and internal investigations, and also to be responsible for the Corporate Compliance within KPNWE including other areas like Data Protection, Modern Slavery, Antibribery & Anticorruption, etc.
- To supervise the legal teams in Antwerp and The Hague offices, ensuring team integration and consistency and uniformity of legal services throughout KPNWE, and procuring the right development and training to keep the team members up to date and business oriented.
- To manage KPNWE Litigation, ensuring proper communication and interaction with KPNWE management to adopt necessary provisions and actions to mitigate impact.
- To manage provision of legal services to affiliates or K-Companies like Kufpec, based on arms length negotiated SLAs.
- Too supervise, coordinate and support the DPO to ensure that GDPR and Data Protection is complied with across KPNWE entities.
To execute the role in a proper way we are looking for someone with the following skills:
- Master degree in Law; preferably a degree in Law with additional complementary international experience and training in Multinational Company.
- A minimum of 8 years of experience from either a first class law firm, and eventually reaching partnership level, or within the legal department of a multinational Company dealing with international commercial matters.
- Adaptable to European business environments
- Experience in Industry is considered to be an asset
- Strong analytical & communication skills
- First experience in People management
Q8 offers you an exciting and responsible position within an international, rapidly expanding company that is one of the market leaders in the fuel sector.
You will be part of smart and sustainable solutions that make our customers’ lives more comfortable. You will discover an innovative, stimulating environment and community, focusing on accountability, collaboration, experimentation, personal growth and development, along with highly motivated and capable colleagues.
In return for your solid commitment, you can count on an attractive salary package including an extensive package of extra-legal benefits, additional vacation days and a work policy that encourages and enables a positive work-life balance through ea. remote work.